Protecting Your Assets

Why do I need advice on protecting my assets?

Most people who co-own their home with another person do so as Joint Owners. On the death of a Joint Owner, the home AUTOMATICALLY becomes the sole property of the survivor - who can then do what they want with it. However this can cause problems:   If the survivor remarries, it is possible that the whole of the house will then pass to their new spouse on their death, thus disinheriting the children of the first marriage. OR   If the survivor has to go into a Nursing or Residential Home, as the sole owner of the property, the Local Authority has powers to charge the cost of care against the value of the whole house, again disinheriting the children. Learn more about how to protect your assets from nursing homes costs here
The answer to these problems, is to have special Will Trusts and change the way the home is owned from Joint Owners to Tenants in Common - a straightforward process that does not involve the mortgage company even if the property is mortgaged.
As Tenants in Common each owner owns part of the property and, using a Will, can do whatever they wish with their share of the property on their death, including:

  1. leaving it to their (own) children so that if the surviving spouse remarries they will only own their share of the property and can only give their own share to their new spouse.
  2. leaving it to their (own) children so that if a surviving spouse needs care, the Local Authority can only charge the cost of care against the half of the house that they own - ensuring in either case that their children inherit at least part of the value of their home.

We do recommend that in the above situations provisions are also made in the Will, through a Will trust, to delay the gift and prevent the surviving spouse being forced out of the home and also to ensure that the surviving spouse can have access to the capital and/or income if the house is sold. This type of trust is called a Life Interest Trust and is sometimes marketed as a Property Protection Trust. To read more, please go to the Property Protection Trust section of our services page
Protecting your savings
The trusts referred to above can also be used to protect savings etc from loss in the event of re marriage or the need to fund care fees. This type of trust is also a Life Interest Trust but is sometimes marketed as a Flexible Life Interest Trust.
For more information on a Flexible Life Interest Trusts, please go to that section on our services page here.
Please note that these arrangements only apply to couples who are drafting Wills. They are not effective for single people. It is therefore essential to plan early.

Do you need advice on protecting your assets?

If you would like to find out more about how you can protect your assets then please call us on 02380 070 169 for a no obligation chat.

Comments are closed.